Dr. Macks strongly believes in night guards to take the pressure off your teeth when you sleep. It also helps reduce headaches associated with teeth grinding. Custom-fitted night guards are a vital part of the process. Due to the use of the special material, extra time and work involved, these tend to be a bit more expensive, but they provide much more comfort and protection over the long haul.
By not protecting your teeth from grinding at night, a few different dental problems can arise. Sore jaw, constant headaches and in some cases, tooth loss can all be a consequence of teeth grinding.
Steps to stop teeth grinding:
- Reduce the stress in your life.
- Avoid alcohol. Grinding usually intensifies after alcohol consumption.
- Do not chew on pencils, pens or anything that isn't food.
- Relax your jaw muscles at night by holding a warm washcloth against your cheek or in front of your earlobe.
- Ask Dr. Macks his opinion on night guards and how one could help you stop the grinding at night.
Please call Dr. Alan Macks' friendly office staff with any questions. They can walk you through any insurance or private pay questions.